Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Training Day #2: birding and potluck

This has been the most bizarre training. First thing this morning we all met with Brett and Dr. Dorsey to talk about our summer research projects. Of course I'll be going something sea turtle related so the morning discussion was exciting and inspiring, hardly like other tedious trainings I've been through (though I keep preparing myself for a day that will be more tedious...). Afterward Maureen and Brett took us on a beach walk for a bit of birding, then we broke for lunch. This afternoon we cover UTV training, so the interns went out the beach one on one with Maureen and took a little drive - again, nothing but fun.

I've never been really into birding, I think mostly because I want to see the animals up close, but I went out this afternoon with Brett and a couple other interns who are big birders to try to find a Painted Bunting. When we finally found one it was a huge feeling of success. The Painted Bunting is a very tropical looking blue, red and green bird and is just beautiful. I hope I'll be able to learn more about the native birds while I'm here.

Then tonight we had a special potluck with the board members and volunteers to welcome all the interns to the conservancy. We had great food and met a ton of really great people. Here's a picture of the whole crew, 11 interns, Maureen and Brett.After we ate and cleaned up all of us played ultimate frisbee, walked on the beach, watched tv and headed to bed. Another great day on the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment