Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Bald Head Island Choppers

Today all but one of the interns made it here so we were all able to sit around and really start to talk for the first time. And of course what better way to bond than to ride our bikes around the island. Between seven of us we managed to hobble together a mostly functional group of bikes from the conservancy bike rack. Our little bike gang ran into rain almost immediately and our attempt to ride on the beach was a struggle, but once we hit the roads all of us had a soggy, but great time.



When the group made it back to the dorm we met two more interns who had just taken the tram over and together the eleven of us had dinner. I can still hear voices downstairs from my bunk bed upstairs, but we are all drained and I'm going to bed earlier than I probably have in months.

Today was also interesting because I made my first solo trip on the ferry with my load of groceries - I still have a lot to learn about basic BHI life.

Tomorrow is our last free day before training, but all of us plan on attending a seminar offered by the conservancy and then helping Brett mark and measure a small population of fresh water turtles in a pond here on the island. Undoubtedly, adventures will abound.

No comments:

Post a Comment